Finding Medical Evidence Workshop
Supporting Patient Care – Using the internet to your advantage
Online registration is closed. To register onsite please email email@example.com.
Nov 17, 2012 (Sat) 8:30am – 12:30pm
Add to your calendar
1330 IBM Computer Lab, SFU, Harbour Centre
515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 5K3
Up to 3.5 Mainpro M1/ MOC Section 1/ AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
This half-day, introductory, interactive workshop will teach physicians to conduct effective internet searches to find credible and evidence-based medical information. Practice online searches using various resources (e.g. PIER, Ovid MEDLINE, STATRef e-books and Clinical Practice Guidelines), search for online journals and textbooks. Know how to find authoritative patient information using MedlinePlus and other high quality websites.
Prerequisite: General familiarity with a computer (i.e. use of a mouse and limited typing) is required.
Examples of questions addressed in this workshop:
- Conduct efficient and refined literature searches
- Apply search tools to find reliable health information and evidence-based medical literature (e.g. Ovid MEDLINE, PIER, the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, clinical practice guidelines and online textbooks)
- Learn strategies to obtain the full text of journal articles through electronic resources or document delivery
- Find authoritative patient information using STATRef e-books, MedlinePlus and other high quality websites
- Discern the appropriate use of Google for clinical and patient information
- Compile appropriate bibliographies in print and electronic form
This workshop also provides:
- Classroom support to maximize the learning and minimize the frustration!
- Time for practice and Q & A!
If you would like to bring this workshop to your community please contact Nina Zoric, Educational Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 604-875-4111. 69136.
Robert Melrose, Librarian, College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC Library
Karen MacDonell, PhD, MLIS, Librarian/Co-Manager, College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC Library
Up to 3.5 Mainpro M1 / MOC Section 1 / AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
In partnership with
Cancellations and Refunds
5 Easy Ways to Register
Phone: (604) 875-5101 (8:30am – 4:30pm PST)
Fax: Download a registration form and fax to 604-875-5078
Email: email@example.com with all your contact details and the name of the course that you would like to register for and we will call you back.
Mail: Click here to download our registration form, and mail your registration form along with your cheques, money orders (Payable to UBC CPD) or credit card details to:
855 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1L7